In 2007, Dr. Watson was the recipient of South Carolina Dental Association’s highest award, the George P Hoffmann Award. According to the SCDA “this award is the premier and most prestigious award presented by the South Carolina Dental association. It is to honor a member for years of outstanding service to the SCDA, the dental profession, and the community”.
Also in 2007, Dr. Watson was honored by being selected the first recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Service Award from the College of Dental Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. MUSC’s Service Award is presented to an alumnus “who has given selflessly through extraordinary actions that benefit the college, their community, or the profession of dentistry during the past year. The actions should serve to benefit a deserving population and as an inspiration to others.”
That same year, Dr. Watson’s dental alma mater established the “David Watson Ethics Seminar” in his honor. As part of his efforts to begin a clinical ethics and professionalism course at the Medical University of South Carolina, Dr. Watson spent innumerable hours researching various programs, visiting other schools, drafting a specific model for the students at the College of Dental Medicine, and initiating the first course in April 2006. The faculty and students at MUSC were so impressed and his first course received such enthusiastic responses that the program was named after him in 2007.
In 2011, Dr. Watson was once again honored by his alma mater by receiving the MUSC Alumni Association’s highest award, The Alumni Award of Honor. According to MUSC, “this award is presented to an alumnus of the College of Dental Medicine in recognition of outstanding service and contributions to the alumni association, the college, their community, or the profession of dentistry over the last 10 years. The dental community holds the recipient in the highest esteem.” Dr. Watson’s goal was never to win awards or acclaim, but he has felt humbled that his passion for dentistry and his love for his community have resulted in such gracious recognition.
Although Dr. Watson would argue that others deserve these recognitions more than he, to date he is the only recipient of both South Carolina Dental Association’s and the Medical University of SC Alumni Association’s highest honors.
He continues to teach and mentor upcoming dental students in South Carolina, has chaired many fundraisers, and served for over twenty years as a deacon at his church.
Dr. Watson’s patients trust his professionalism and rely on the kindness he demonstrated every day to make them smile. He is meticulous about his dental work, always careful that not a speck of plaque has been left behind after a cleaning and that a filling feels so natural the patient will forget it’s there. But he doesn’t take everything quite so seriously. Patients know Dr. Watson is coming down the hallway because they can hear him singing his own rendition of Johnny Cash’s “I Keep My Eyes Wide Open All the Time.” He would sing Christmas carols year round if his staff would let him, but patients are thankful they don’t! At home Dr. Watson watches “American Idol’ with his lovely wife and may have even called in a few votes.
Lots of dentists claim to improve your smile, but how many of them will actually make you smile by belting out Tanya Tucker’s “Delta Dawn” for some pre-appointment entertainment? Now that’s hard to find.
- Recipient of MUSC Alumni Association’s Highest Award, “The Alumni Award of Honor”
- The Annual Ethics and Professionalism Program at MUSC named “The David Watson Ethics Seminar”
- First recipient of the MUSC College of Dental Medicine’s “Distinguished Alumni Service Award”
- Recipient of the South Carolina Dental Association’s Highest Award, “The George P Hoffman Award”
Membership in Dental Organizations
- American Dental Association
- South Carolina Dental Association
- Piedmont District Dental Society
- Greenville County Dental Society
- American College of Dentists
- International College of Dentists
- South Carolina Academy of Dental Practice Administration
- Past President, South Carolina Dental Association
- Past President, South Carolina Academy of General Dentistry
- Past President, South Carolina Academy of Practice Administration
- Past Chairman, Carolinas Section, American College of Dentists
- Chairman, Ethics Committee, Carolinas Section, American College of Dentists
- Past Chairman, American Dental Association’s Council on Dental Practice
- Past Chairman, Academy of General Dentistry’s Council on Dental Care
- Past Chairman, MUSC Health Science Foundation
- Past Chairman, Greenville Hospital System, Department of Dentistry
- Past Chairman, South Carolina DenPac
- Past Speaker, American Dental Association’s Success Program
- Past Vice Chair, South Carolina Medical Malpractice Patients Compensation Fund
- Keynote Speaker, MUSC’s First White Coat Ceremony
- Keynote Speaker, MUSC Graduation Exercise
Graduate of Furman University, BS Graduate of MUSC, DMD Deacon, First Baptist Church, Greenville, SC Chairman, Long Range Planning Committee, First Baptist Church